Sunday, December 5, 2010

Apples and Aesop


I forgot to mention A and I stopped by a vendor on the way up the mountain to buy some apples. We were able to go out in the orchard and pick our own--! Here is a view of the apple orchard (Apples: 1 kilo for 400 yen):







I made fried (and baked) apple pies when I came home. Oh, yum!

Also, I feel so happy that I can understand 75% of one of Aesop's fables in Japanese! I bought this kid's book the other day on a whim (it was only 350 yen at Bookman's Academy) and I've been reading it. Today I studied vocabulary and actually understand some of it!

ああ。。。おなかがすいたなあ。。。
そのとき、木の下にあかりが見えました。それは、はたらきつずけていた、あのありのいえでした。
きりぎりすにたべものをあげて、ありはそっといいました。
よくはたらけば、本とうにたのしいくらしがてきるんですよ。
きりぎりすははすかしくてかおがまっかになりました。

Ahhh...I'm hungry...
At that time, he saw a light coming from under a tree. It was the house of the hard-working ant.
After the ant gave the grasshopper some food, he said gently to him:
If you work hard (often?) it's true that you will live a good life.
The grasshopper felt ashamed, and his face turned bright red.

So my translation might not be perfect, but I think I get the gist of it. I even understand the "te" form from "Tabemo o agete." Thank you, Kotoba dictionary!

"I think I'm getting smarter! It's a piece of cake--!"

(said before I fall into the oubliette...)

3 comments:

  1. I can't help but LOVE that you are quoting from The Labyrinth here. We *might* be the only two people in the world who adore, adore that movie. This totally made my night. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking that you were probably going to be the only person who read this post who would get it. :) I'm so happy!

    ReplyDelete