Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Music Japanese Junior High Schoolers Like

One of my last 3rd grade (14- and 15-year olds) lesson plans was on My Favorite Song. This was immediately following the Stevie Wonder lesson plan in the Total English book. Needless to say, they were not too impressed with Mr. Wonder, with all due respect. After listening to four Stevie Wonder songs and filling out a 5-question sheet on each one (this song is happy/sad/angry....the rhythm is fast/slow/medium...I give it a 1-10, etc.), we did the same with our favorite songs. Their song choices were interesting to me. I had expected a wealth of Arashi and AKB48 (idol pop music) but was astounded by the variety of their choices.

I haven't listened to all of them, but I've probably seen 30 or 40 of their recommended videos on YouTube. It seems like students really love Greeeen and Nishino Kana, as well as Exile, Funky Monky Babys, and Monkey Majik.

Here, for your listening pleasure, are some of the ones I enjoyed (and others that are just funny).

Enjoy!

Song for You - Mongol 800
Future Gazer - Fripside
Chocolate Disco (チョコレートティスコ)- Perfume
Sazaesan's Opening Theme (Japanese cartoon)
Iindeska (いいんですか)- Radwimps
Yell - いきものがかり
Oyoge Taiyaki-kun - およげたいやきくん
Even if (たえおえどんなに) - Nishino Kana (西野カナ)
Love Song - Funky Monky Babys
Miso Soup - Tegomasu

Thank you, guys!

If anyone wants my entire list of about 100 songs, feel free to ask. Because nothing beats YouTubing unknown J-Pop songs when you've got nothing else to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment