Monday, May 14, 2012

Kumamoto: May 1-2

First things first, let’s see this famous castle everyone’s talking about.

Second things second, what are we going to do for the next two hours until our couch surfer host can meet? How about wander around this park in the drizzle? That’s nice. This is really pretty. Ooooh, who’s that other gaijin walking around? I have no idea, he’s cute, though. Maybe we should talk to him . . . oh, he’s gone now. Well, nevermind, then.

OK, now what? Mmmm, let’s try to find an awning to stand under. Good thing you brought that umbrella. The rain is really coming down.

Oh, finally, it’s 7:00! And here’s K now! Hi, nice to meet you. I’m Jaimie. Thanks for letting me stay. Ramen? I’d love ramen! Wow, this is really delicious. This is your place? Very cool. Well, goodnight! Thanks a lot for being a great host. If you ever come to Gunma, let me know. Goodbye . . . !

All right, here it is, 7:30 a.m. and I’m on the most crowded streetcar I’ve ever been on. And it keeps getting more crowded. Don’t knock me over, guy, that’s rude. Seriously, how many people can you fit on this thing?! Finally, Kumamoto Station! And. . . let’s see here . . . 8:23 train to Nantoka-Nishi, then I’ll get a bus to the Mt. Aso volcano, and a cable car to the top. Oh, I'm so excited! I'm really looking forward to seeing the crater and the steaming lake. It’s gonna be so cool!

Are you kidding me? A two-hour train ride and a half-hour bus ride, and I can’t go up to see the volcano? It’s closed?! Off limits? Well I guess I don’t want to inhale toxic fumes and die, but SERIOUSLY? Oh, all right, I’ll go to the Volcano Museum instead.

Whoa! What’s the deal with the animatronic guide?! Creeeeeepy!

Most. Disappointing. Thing. Ever. Even with the “live coverage” of the volcano broadcast into the museum, it’s way too cloudy and misty to see anything. Guess I’ll go sit on this bench in the corner of the omiyage place and wait for the next bus back. It’s way too cold to walk around, anyway, and this horizontal rain is stinging. I thought it was going to be warmer today . . .

Oh, hello, sir. You’re waiting for your bus, too? It’s a shame about the weather, isn’t it? Thank you, I’ve been in Japan two years. Haha, no, my Japanese isn’t good yet; I’m still studying! Oh, you’re from Tokyo? I live in Gunma now. Yes, yes, Kyushu is beautiful; I love it. Oh, it was nice talking to you, too, have a good rest of your trip! What? Seriously? You’ll buy me two boxes of omiyage plus a karai daikon? That’s so nice of you! What a feast! Thank you very much!

What a sweet old man. I love being able to communicate with people, even when my Japanese isn’t all that good. I like this couple over here, too. It's nice that they're talking to me a little bit, too. It’s cool that even though the guy is deaf, we can still talk about how cold it is, how bad it is to have missed the volcano, and how spicy that daikon is.

Well, it's 1:15, time to go back down, huh. Guess I’ll try some of this fried horsemeat before I go. Who knows when I’ll have a chance to eat that again. Mmm, not too bad. Not the best thing I’ve ever had, but not bad either.

All right, back at Kumamoto Station. What do you want to do? You wanna eat here or wait till Kagoshima? Tell ya what. Why don't you try to change your Shinkansen ticket for an earlier one, that way you can get to Kagoshima an hour earlier and eat with Soshi’s parents? Don’t forget to get your stuff out of that locker before you go either. And take your coat off; you don't need it any more. 

All right, now that you’re nicely settled in your comfortable Shinkansen seat, speeding towards the southern tip of Kyushu, what did you really accomplish today? Met two German travelers, a Japanese couple, and a lady from Singapore, got some free omiyage from that nice retired man, ate some horsemeat, and learned about volcanoes, even if I didn’t see one. Not a completely wasted day, I suppose. I sure hope Kagoshima is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment