Thursday, February 14, 2013

Poems

One class assignment is to write a poem about a time when you were waiting to do something, or a time just before something was about to happen. Here are my favorites (in no particular order):

"I Got Arrested"
November 1, 2012

Once in winter
I ran, I tried to get away
It was cold and windy in that winter night
Everything was dark except for me
Blue and white light of the police cars all over
I tried to hide and get away
Everyone around me was scared and asking me where to go
And following me while the police were running after us
I felt adrenaline going through me
I felt scared, nervous, and mad
I knew that very soon they were going to catch up
And everything was going to be over
And I ended up in a green and white jumpsuit
with a $910,000 bond.
(L.A., 17)

"My Father's Murder"
September 2, 1986

Once in summer
I sat around the table with my brothers and sisters
It was raining
Everything was black for me
I only cried
Everyone around me was crying
I felt confused
I knew that everything would be slow forever
And nothing has closed, because I remember my father forever.
(I.G., 39)

"Divorce"
July 1997

Once in summer
I wanted the time to go fast
But it went slow because it was hot
Everything was good
I was at the club at night
Everyone around me was boring
I felt happy
I knew that very soon I would be coming to my freedom
But I would lose my daughter.
(L.G., 37)

"Wedding"
Summer 2010

Once in the summer
I was sitting on the table drinking some tequila
It was sunny and hot
Everything was blue, gray, and white
I got up and staggered over to my friends
Everyone around me was happy and having a good time
I felt excited and happy
I knew that very soon I would have to drive home
And I knew I couldn't cuz I was drunk.
(D.G., 21)

"Christmas"
December 24, 2011

Once in winter
I stood in the middle of my living room waiting to open my present
It was cold
Everything was red, white, and green
I was talking to my cousins
Everyone around me was smiling and clapping
I felt very excited
I knew that very soon I would be spending it
And another party would start.
(J.R., 18)

"First Day of School"
August 25, 2012

Once in summer
I stood outside waiting for the school bus
It was a nice warm morning
Everything was green and tropical
I was talking to my brother
Everyone around me was murmuring and staring at me
I felt strange and scorned at the same time
I knew soon it would be over
And the day would end nicely.
(L.D., with points for using two vocabulary words, "scorn" and "murmur")

"First Day of School"
January 7, 2013

Once in winter
I took a shower and I got ready
It was kind of cold
Everything was orange and white and gray
I was looking around
Everyone around me was sleeping and snoring
I felt excited
I knew that very soon I was about to meet other people
And get out of the dorm.
(P.P., 30)

4 comments:

  1. Once in summer
    I was walking alone
    It was warm and sunny
    Everything was colorful and beautiful around
    I was surprised by the beauty of nature
    Everyone around me was like a breath of life
    I felt love of God
    I knew that He was with me
    And always will be so !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is beautiful! I love it! Thank you for sharing!

      Delete