Thursday, July 12, 2012

Emails from Students

When the 3年生 (san-nen-sei) kids graduated in March, I gave them my email address to keep in touch. Now that I’m going back to the U.S., all 577 students at school have my address because I put it in my English school newsletter. Of course, only a handful of students have actually written, but of those who have, they’ve been very nice (if not a little inappropriate).
Their emails are peppered with animated emoticons in bright colors. And most kids’ email addresses are strings of letters, numbers, and random English words. For example, kr.r-law.hero43 or kara.8888happytime or et.baseball.0908. I love it.

Here are a few of them. By the way,(笑)means “laugh”; it’s the Japanese version of LOL.

ジェミー!My name is (XX). I played volleyball with you. It’s very fan. ニホンゴワカリマスカ?イツデモメールシテネ。

Jaimie! . . . Do you understand Japanese? Write me whenever you want!
M.H. (2-4)

ハロー!あ、俺がメールしたことは秘密で(笑)

                                                                         Hey! It’s a secret that I wrote to you, OK?


クエスチョンしていいですか?!(笑)

                                                                        Can I ask you a question?

ボーイフレンドとかいるんですか?(笑)彼氏って意味です。

                                                                        Do you have a boyfriend?

彼氏とはどんなとこまでいきましたか?(笑)

                                                                     How far did you go with him?

-K.T., (3-2)

IamNameNameareyoujaimiely?
R.K., (3-3)

Hello! My name is (XX). 2-2! Yesterday, with lunch! I was happy.

M.S., (2-2)

HELLO 私はいまからごはんです。ジェイミーは何食べた?

I’m about to eat dinner. What did you eat?

M.T., (3-4)

Oh, Jaimie! Today I saw you who ride a bike. I am sad because you go back America in August. You are a very good teacher. I love you. I want to go to America. So I study harder. See you again.

R.T., 高校1年生

(1st year high school/10th grade)

I'm going to miss my kids a lot when I go back to the States. I just love them! Luckily, even though my favorite class ever has graduated, and I only have five teaching days left – there’s always still email.

No comments:

Post a Comment