Friday, July 27, 2012

ThirtyThirtyThirty


Thirty is a time of reflection. August 2, 2012 marks that special day. With all the hustle and bustle of moving back to the States, I find time for a little reflecting. What have I accomplished? What do I still have left to do? What am I happy I haven’t done yet? Let’s see.

30 Things I’ve Done Before 30

1.     Gotten married and divorced (might as well put that at the top)
2.     Lived in a foreign country (not just Japan for 2 years but a month in Mexico and 2 months in Spain) to teach ESL (my dream since I was 18)
3.      Gone through a punk rock stage in college where I cut my hair short and dyed it lots of crazy colors on a weekly basis
4.     Slept on the beach to watch the sun come up
5.     Snowboarded (twice)
6.     Been in an earthquake, a tornado, and various hurricanes and typhoons
7.     Been to a lot of funerals
8.     Learned to cook good food and enjoy it
9.     Been in a bad car wreck and a small bike wreck, without suffering any major injuries
10.  Had a hangover
11.  Knitted a sweater
12.  Smoked
13.  Gotten a B.A. and a Master’s degree
14.  Written a book (when I was 13 . . . it’s not that good)
15.  Read the entire Bible in a year
16.  Owned a house
17.  Broken a few hearts and had my own broken a couple of times
18.  Shaken the President’s hand (Spain, 2003)
19.  Seen a baby be born
20.  Learned to enjoy running and playing sports after years of hating both; become super interested in yoga
21.  Traveled to 28 states, Mexico, Bolivia, Spain, Canada, the Philippines, Japan, and a layover in Taiwan
22.  Lied
23.  Discovered I can be severely claustrophobic
24.  Lived in the country: raccoon hunting; deer skinning, hog butchering. . . I've seen chickens get their heads cut off and still run around, I've eaten fried squirrel and frog legs.
25.  Almost died on various occasions: horse stepping on my chest, slicing my head open falling through a glass fishtank, falling in the freezing creek, falling in the waterfall, etc. . . .
26.  Had a spiritual crisis
27.  Been depressed and recovered from it
28.  Learned Spanish and Japanese
29.  Run on the track and field team and broken two school records
30.  Prayed at a Shinto shrine and made a Tanabata wish

Never Ever Have I Ever . . .

1.     Been pregnant or had children
2.     Backpacked Europe (I missed that boat back when everyone “took a year off” between high school and college and/or between college and a real job)
3.     Been skydiving/hangliding/bungee jumping/hot air ballooning/rock climbing/scuba diving/white water rafting/snorkeling/snow skiing (and I’m OK with all of that)
4.     Published anything good
5.     Quit biting my nails for good
6.     Milked a cow or drank fresh cow’s milk (but I have had fresh goat milk)
7.     Had enough money not to worry about it
8.     Broken a bone (knock on wood)
9.     Run a 5-minute mile or run in a 5K competitively
10.  Been to England/Chile/Argentina/Scandinavia/Europe or lived in Mexico (and I want to!)
11.  Seen Les Miserables live
12.  Been able to catch up to my sister
13.  As an adult, lived in the same place for longer than 4 years
14.  Stolen anything from a store
15.  Had hair down to my waist
16.  Been in terrible danger (a fire, a terrorist attack, a hostage situation, etc.)
17.  Done calligraphy well
18.  Dated a guy just so he’d buy me things, or been impressed with guys who drive "cool" cars
19.  Forgotten my grandparents
20.  Been in a fistfight
21.  Gotten my Master’s in Spanish from a university in a Spanish-speaking country (but I will -- !)
22.  Followed the Laura Ingalls Wilder trail from Wisconsin to Missouri
23.  WWOOFed (worked on an organic farm)
24.  Taken the Catholic Eucharist
25.  Read as many classic books as I want to
26.  Figured out what I'm going to do with my life
27.  Kissed Mr. Tamura or Mr. Morita
28.  Had anything besides my ears pierced, or gotten a tattoo
29.  Been able to stay up all night without suffering the next day
30.  Managed to think with my head instead of my feelings 

So what does this mean? Will I write another post when I'm 60 to see what I've accomplished in the next thirty years . . . ? 

5 comments:

  1. まだkissするチャンスはあるよ(笑)頑張って! loud Miho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha funny girl! :) 月曜日の前に頑張ろう(笑)!

      Delete
  2. 10. Been to England/Chile/Argentina/Scandinavia/Europe or lived in Mexico (and I want to!)!

    If you ever come here, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muchas gracias! I want to go in the next few years -- !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2015 update: Since I first published this, I've run in four competitive 5Ks (27'31" best time), seen Les Miserables live in Raleigh, and taken the Catholic Eucharist numerous times. Everything else still stands.

    ReplyDelete