Thursday, August 25, 2011

Lists

JAPANESE THINGS I DID FOR THE FIRST FEW DAYS IN THE STATES


• Kept sumimasen-ing people

• Kept saying “itadakimasu” and “gochisousama deshita” at meals (and taught my mom to say, “It was a feast” in English)

• Did the incredulity-filled “ehhhhh!” or the "un, un, un" while listening to people’s stories

• Responded with “hai” and “sou nan desuka” when speaking with my Spanish-speaking friends, mixing up Spanish and Japanese

• Bowed walking in and out of my old office

• Bowed and said “gochisousama deshita” in restaurants

• Kept running Japanese phrases through my head that I could use with the waitress or the guy behind the counter at Starbucks, before remembering that they could speak English, too (dolp)

• Forgot to leave tips in restaurants (and going back several days later to drop it off)

NON-JAPANESE THINGS I DID:


• Threw my feet up onto the seats of chairs when sitting at outdoor restaurants

• Made small talk with servers and cashiers, who kept calling me “sugar” and “honey”

• Struck up conversations with random strangers in stores (so fun!)

• Kept my shoes on in the house (but dang, that one was hard to do, and sometimes I’d kick them off at the front door out of habit)

• Walked around barefoot outside

• Wore spaghetti-strap tank tops and didn’t care

• Ate with a fork the whole time (well, duh)

THINGS I APPRECIATED ABOUT THE SOUTH:


• The food! (sure, a lot of it is fried and unhealthy, but there’s good stuff too, like fresh vegetables from the garden)

• The warmth of the people (yes, sometimes it’s fake, but it’s still a nice gesture) and facial expressions I can read

• The accent that can only be from rural North Carolina

• The natural beauty in the forests and fields and water

THINGS THAT I NOTICED:


• I had been wondering how they say, “Irasshaimase” because I certainly didn’t think it was “welcome.” What I got more than anything was, “Hi, how are you?” when I walked in a store.

• Customer service SUCKS. The cashiers act like they’re doing you a favor by allowing you to buy something.

• Finding a public restroom is a challenge. But when you find one there are always soap and paper towels. Having soap was great. But even though I gripe in Japan about the lack of paper towels, seeing how much mess and waste they cause has me thinking that maybe carrying around a little hand towel with you isn’t such a bad idea after all.

• There are public trashcans everywhere, but not as much recycling.

• Drinks were WAY too big! My dad got a 64-ounce Dr. Pepper at a convenience store for just a dollar or two. 64 ounces! That’s almost two liters! (1.89, to be exact.) And even the small drink at Chick-fil-A seemed too big.

• Nobody really wanted to hear any Japan stories. And I guess I didn’t really want to tell any, either. I didn’t miss Japan while I was gone. But I was really excited to go back. Why is that, I wonder?

1 comment:

  1. "Nobody really wanted to hear any Japan stories. And I guess I didn’t really want to tell any, either. I didn’t miss Japan while I was gone. But I was really excited to go back. Why is that, I wonder?"

    Yeah its interesting you thought that, because I thought the same thing. Actually I remember reading a story in the CLAIR handbook that they give to new JETs about the reverse culture shock and one girl mentioned that as well. My only guess is that we really are living in two different worlds so to speak, we dont have many if any shared experiences with those who are living in NC so I found myself rarely ever talking about Japan and more about US politics and such with my family and friends. Its just one of those experiences that I think will probably be only significant to us and the other ALTs who have went through the same thing, but outside of that, its really not something that is very relate able. At least, that is my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete