Monday, August 22, 2011

North Carolina Preface


(I promise the rest of my NC blog will be jumbled together and in bulletpoint form, with actual events and perhaps pictures, so stick with me just a little longer.) 

When I first landed at the Minneapolis airport after 11 hours of flying, I was jetlagged, cramped, and not thinking clearly. My body was still on Japan time (somewhere around 4:00 a.m.) and my brain was mush. As I walked through the hallway towards the gate whose flight would take me to Raleigh, I stared openly at all the non-Japanese people and clutched my handbag to my chest as if I were lost in the middle of some unknown jungle, instead of just making a trip through an airport. Everything seemed both reassuringly familiar but disastrously different at the same time, and I waited for my flight in a fog of culture shock and sleepiness, listening to the English all around me.  
            Three hours later, we touched down at RDU, but I couldn’t summon the energy to cheer. Even when I realized that no one was waiting for me at the gate, I just sleepwalked over to baggage claim, then propped myself up against a pole while waiting for someone to show up. It was only about three minutes later when I saw my mom come flying through the crowd towards me to envelop me in a huge bear hug. Traffic had been bad, she explained with her arms around me, and they couldn’t get to the airport on time.
            On the two-and-a-half-hour drive back to Winston-Salem, I made myself stay awake, but as soon as we got home I had a shower and hit the hay. I slept from 10:00 p.m. to 1:00 the next afternoon.
            The next day, Saturday, I sat in mom’s backyard, reading “Spiral” by Koji Suzuki (what a terrible ending) and trying to soak up as much direct sunlight as possible, because that’s what all the articles say you should do to recover from jetlag. I don’t think I did one productive thing the entire day, and it was wonderful. Mom and I spent all day together, I played the piano a little, and didn’t do much of anything else.
            I went to sleep at 11:00 p.m. and was wide-awake at 3:30 a.m.
            At five, I got out of bed where I had been reading, and started to slink around the house. I couldn’t go outside because the house has an alarm system I was sure to trip. So I stayed in the kitchen and read the newspaper and ate cereal, watching the dawn slowly creep in.
            Somehow I made it through the day with only one nap, and then I was, more or less, back on the right schedule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment