Monday, August 30, 2010

First Day of School

Well, not exactly the first day teaching, but the first day with all the kids back.

So I come into school at 8:00, someone hands me a cup of hot tea (nice!) and then we go into the gym for the opening speeches. The students file in silent as mice, all in their uniforms of navy blue pants/skirts and white blouses/shirts, with navy blue ties. They file up and sit down on the gym floor in orderly rows that American kids couldn't do if they tried (or maybe after much prodding they could). The principal says some opening remarks that I don't understand, he passes out some awards certificates, which the students accept with a bow to the principal and a bow to the student body, who responds with subdued applause. Then the principal motions to me to come onto the stage. I pick up a few things that he says: "This is the new ALT. She's from North Carolina. This is her first time in Japan" and some other things that I don't understand. Then it's my turn to speak.

I look at my prepared romaji speech in front of me. I smile. I say, "Ohayo gozaimasu!" in my cheerful American voice. The students respond with a less boisterous "Ohayo gozaimasu." I start my speech, first in Japanese, which I read slowly, painstakenly, and with a few errors I'm sure, and then in English:

Good morning, my name is Jaimie Foster.
I am from North Carolina in America.
I am an ALT.
I speak English and Spanish and will work hard to learn Japanese.
This is my first time in Japan.
I am very happy to be working with all of you and I hope we have a happy relationship.
Thank you very much.

You can go ahead and laugh now at my beautiful, broken nihongo.

Then I go back, the principal speaks for maybe 10 more minutes about working hard and being dedicated to the school, then the students file out as quietly as they came.

I am shocked at how quiet they are during assemblies. Assemblies in my middle school were ridiculously loud.

Now I am working on my 1-page newspaper to put up around the school, and preparing for tomorrow's lesson (today the kids have tests all day so no teaching).

I'll let you know how things go!

Oh, the other day the kids at club activities had shaved ice raspados and they were delicious!!!

.....

Lunch.

Japanese school lunch is about 30,000 times better than American lunch, but it's a much different presentation.

At 12:15, a crew of kitchen folk came into the staff room loaded down with trays and bowls and plates of steaming things that smelled good. About 5 or 6 teachers, me included, went to help them put the food onto plates and carry them to the other staff. There were about 20 plates to fill: a bowl of white rice, a bowl of shrimp and vegetable soup, a salad with lettuce, corn, peanuts (?) and a delicious sauce, and half of a frozen apple. We also had a box of milk (100%, which I haven't had in a while and that tasted like straight cream) and a cup of hot green tea (ocha). However, once we sat the trays in front of the respective teachers, no one ate.

Indeed, no one ate until 12:45, when the bell rang signaling the end of 4th period. That's when the other teachers showed up from their 4th period class, and everyone was able to eat together. Luckily my milk was still cold and my food was still mostly hot, even after a 20 minute rest.

Afterwards, we tore our milk cartons apart, rinsed them out and placed them in a basket to be recycled, dumped the rest of our food in one big container (either for tomorrow's soup or the pigs, hahaha), and washed our personal tea mugs and chopsticks/forks. There isn't a towel to dry your dishes off on, though; you have to bring your own. Which I didn't have today. But I will tomorrow. (There actually aren't hand drying towels in this whole country, I've noticed, except at nicer stores or restaurants. Otherwise, it's just water, but no soap or hand towels.)

Oishii!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment