Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Good Day & Fireworks

It was crazy hot again today, and the air conditioning only runs at night. They had all the windows and the doors open, letting the hot breeze roll through the house all day. Around 12:30, my host mom and I left the house and went shopping--first to Nitori (something similar to Bed Bath & Beyond but with less bath) where I bought a futon set (futon/mattress, blanket, and pillow) plus sheets and covers for everything. I got a pillow filled with soba as well, that they say is good to sleep on. After Nitori, we went to Aeon, which is a huge mall like any other mall anywhere else in the world. I got my inside shoes for school; apparently it doesn't matter how nicely you dress at school, you always take off your outside shoes and put on inside shoes once you're in the school. So I have a year of wearing nice fancy clothes and some cute ballerina slipper crocs that can never touch the ground outside of the school halls. :)

I had an awkward experience at the McDonald's at the mall (I know, I know, I'm embarrassed even admitting it; leave me alone). I didn't know any of the words for anything, so I said and pointed at a picture of a cheeseburger, fries, and a Coke (ko-ku, I think...). The fries were in a picture with another sandwich, though, so when I got my tray, it had a cheeseburger, a Coke, and a chicken sandwich on it. I had to get my host mom to help me sort out the mistake. I thought my miming eating French fries was really good, but apparently it wasn't good enough....:) The cashier was embarrassed and so was I, and a lot of "sumimasen"s (excuse me) and "gommenasai"s (I'm sorry) were thrown around. Well, you live and you learn: they say "po-ta-to-fri" for French fries. Now I know.

This evening was an experience as well. It was the first day of the Takasaki Festival (which we skipped out on, but we'll go tomorrow, dressed up in yukata) and they had fireworks at the rugby field near the house I'm staying at. It felt festive, like the 4th of July but without the American flags and obnoxious people (there're always a few...). People brought blankets and we all picnicked outside. It felt fun to be drinking a beer and eating rice balls while watching the sky light up with hanabi (fireworks: hana = flower and bi = fire). The fireworks lasted almost an hour, with fireworks that light up like smiley faces, flowers, and, of course, cat heads. I met some of my host family's friends, and we exchanged smiling bows and names. I'm at the point where can I have a 2 or 3 word conversation with someone, and that's pretty nice.

I keep wanting to go to bed early; it's barely 9:30 p.m. but I feel exhausted. Maybe it's because I wake up at 5:30 with the sun! Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment