Thursday, November 11, 2010

Christmas is Coming the Stores Are All Crowded...

I've been bugging my mom for piano sheet music recently, so she sent me a stack of the hymns I wrote about earlier and the music to a cantata our church did in 1997 (?) called "That's Christmas." Tonight I went to my host mom's house for dinner, and before we ate our Chinese stir-fry, rice, and salad, I got to bang on their beautiful Kawai piano for half an hour. Of course the family didn't recognize any of the songs (American families don't know this cantata!), but I was transported back to high school, with Josh singing, "Do not be afraid, Mary...." and everyone else bellowing out, "Where is the Child?!" vigorously. (And remember when Jonathan thought "laud" was Southern for "Lord"? Of course, he was 10 at the time, but still...it was funny.)

Christmas is already all over Japan. All the stores are playing Christmas music and they all have Christmas decorations up. But I'm thinking about the Thanksgiving dinner I'm going to miss in two weeks! (I'll have my own version here, I'm sure, but it won't be exactly the same.) I wonder what Christmas will be like. My host mom has invited me to her house, where they celebrate the Japanese way: eating KFC and cake. Not exactly my mom's glazed ham, but it'll have to do, I suppose! Maybe Christmas is like home: wherever you are, you make it yours.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving in Japan! I know mine will be different as well. There are a few stores here that realize there are different cultures here and have a few Christmas deocrations, but of course it's nothing like home. I guess it's kind of like the few Hannukah decorations you find in America.

    ReplyDelete