Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tokyo Interior: A Play in One Act

Conversation Between Saleswoman at Tokyo Interior and Me (100% Japanese)

I see a rug I like, marked for 6800 yen. A red 40% off sign is beside it. A saleswoman is approaching.

Saleswoman (under her breath): Irrasahimase. (Welcome, come in, etc. Everyone in stores greets their customers with this line).

Me (going up to her and pointing at rugs): Excuse me. How long is this sale until?

Saleswoman: Japanese, Japanese, Japanese, Japanese, let me see. (Looks at sign.) (Continues talking in comprehensible Japanese.)

Me: I want this rug. But today I don’t have money. Next week, will it be here?

Saleswoman: Mmmmmm. (Takes bar-coded prices out of the plastic sleeve. Shows me two tickets. Speaks in Japanese.)

Me (switching tactics): Maybe it will be here. Maybe it won’t be here. Maybe I can buy today. Is VISA okay?

Saleswoman: VISA card?

Me: Yes, VISA card.

Saleswoman: It’s okay.

Me: Can I see it?

Saleswoman: Sure. (We both take it off the rack and place it on a stack of rugs nearby.)

Me: I like it.

Saleswoman: (Smiles.)

Me (pointing at 40% off sign and at 6800 yen sign): Is this the last price? Is it [in English, “40% off”] now? Is it 5000 yen? 4000 yen?

Saleswoman: Japanese, Japanese, Japanese, Japanese. Wait just a second, please. (Runs off.)

Me: OK.

Me (to myself): Am I having a conversation in Japanese?

Saleswoman (returning): (Points to 40% sign.) 6800 is already 40% off. 6800 is the [in English, “last price”].

Me [in English]: Mmmmm, let me think.

Saleswoman: (Looks at me quizzically.)

Me [in Japanese]: To think. (Makes thoughtful face. Puts finger on temple in “Thinking” pose.)

Saleswoman: (Maybe gets it.) Japanese, Japanese, Japanese.

Me [in English]: Maybe I can come back. Today I will not buy it. Thank you for your trouble, though.

Saleswoman: Oh, it’s okay.

Me & Saleswoman: (Put the rug back on the rack.)

Me: I’m sorry, just a little Japanese.

Saleswoman: It’s okay. Just a little English.

Me: Thank you a lot. Maybe I will come back.

Saleswoman: Thank you. Japanese, Japanese, Japanese.

Me: Thank you.

(End Scene)

1 comment:

  1. So, did you get the rug? What a great conversation in English and Japenese!!!

    ReplyDelete